September 6, 2010

Motivation

This is a brief departure from my usual cut and dried format, but I thought I'd post about something a bit different today.

This past week has been a killer. I started a new job which uses significantly different technologies from my previous jobs, and in attempting to 'catch up' I feel burnt out. I know I need to put in extras hours outside of work to study up on the new technologies, but my motivation is lacking. I find these types of times the hardest in my career as a developer. It's not the continous learning, the long hours, the stress, or vague client requirements. It's the times when you really just want to play a mindless video game, or read a non-programming related book. Those times when you have to literal force yourself to settle down and just read over the hello world beginner app's to get the hang of some new technology or methodology. Sometimes it feels like torture.

However, I am very fortunate to have a good job that allows me to learn new technologies and new skills. It's exciting, it's a little scary, but all in all I'm extremely grateful for the opportunity. But dang it! Summers almost over and I want to a squeeze every last little moment from the day until that horrible, horrible snow starts flying again!

What do you do to motivate yourself when the weather is perfect, and you're coffee cup is empty?

Here's my list:
  • I head down to the book store and pick out one of their books on .Net or whatever and read there.
  • I pack up my IPad and head down to the coffee shop to read articles and sites, and treat myself to a big tasty Mocha.
  • I force myself to spend just 15 minutes solid on reading a few chapters in the book (Currently Silverlight 4). After 15 minutes I'm usually hooked on whatever I'm reading that I'll read for another hour or so. If not, then I set the book down because chances are I'm not going to retain what I've read if I can't concentrate for at least 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment